Jan Meeting Recap
By Karl Picard
The January meeting was on Jan as we moved it a week this month due to it falling just after New Year’s day. We opened the meeting with introductions to new Council members Jesse Kilgore and Gilbert Ko coving why they joined and how they have been involved with the Sounders to date. We have gotten some great new members recently but need more to address all the items we have (see further below). If you are reading this you too can join the Alliance Council and help represent the fans.
Martin gave an update on a survey conducted on how the AC can better communicate and collaborate. The results were emails for collaboration on bigger items like projects and SMS/Text for more urgent items and things that need immediate action. We will still use the Google group for archiving and communications.
The main focus of is around planning with front office topics and then projects for the council for 2018. A lot of the front office discussions do require us to fall in-line with the front office calendar so we can be sure we can influence this year/next year. Topics we are planning to address:
- Food was a topic we addressed last year and we had little influence based on our meeting. We want to follow-up on some of the items from last year. Hoping this year will be more focused on the stadium concourse food rather than the suite or higher end items. We want to readdress overall draft beer selection and options for veggie and vegan stadium wide.
- Marketing was another item we discussed last year. We saw some items but not a full execution there. We plan to cover some game day experience and well as overall experience around the stadium.
- Want to try to get security in for a discussion around the experience and what the plan is for improving, as well as reporting issues.
- Rave foundation, we want to get an update from them on what is going on and where the money from the AC donation last year went.
- Discussed addressing outreach and ticketing as well.
We will work with the front office to determine the schedule for the next several months.
Next up was what items were project and efforts the Alliance Council is going to work on in 2018.
- 10 years of the Alliance – we are planning to have regular content on this topic and need folks to produce content. Key resources: Martin Buckley, Stephanie Steiner, Roberta King, Molly Wagner, and Nick Biela.
- GM Vote – vote to retain Garth. We have 2 thresholds we need 40% of the Alliance to vote, a supermajority is required for the action to be binding otherwise the decision is up to the front office. Key resources: Jeff Williams, Nick Biesold and Darla Langdon
- Sitting vs Standing – can we get designated sections, this keeps coming up
- Traveling portal to connect fans. Key Resources: Lisa Angeles
- Youth outreach: Lots of discussion around how to get the next generation involved, possibly through a junior alliance. Need to determine what options exist and do some research. Key Resources: Darla Langdon, Todd Cowles, Nicholaus Biela, Molly Wagner, Dan Roe, and Gilbert Ko
- S2, is there something we need to get involved with there? We’ll put a request into the Community trust. Key resources: Darla Langdon
- Outreach & Visibility around the Alliance Council, driving the brand and ensuring we get information out to the Alliance. Key Resources: Karl Picard, Cameron Collins, Nick Biela, and Jesse Kilgore
Final items we addressed were getting bios and pictures for the new members to update the website.
We have a lot of work ahead in 2018 and the more folks on the Council the more we can get done. If you are interested in joining reach out or just self-nominate and get your 25 votes. We’d love to have you.