SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

October 2, 2018 – 7:00 PM – The NINETY

Present (12 of 17):

Martin Buckley, Cameron Collins, Todd Cowles, Michael Dollard, Alex Eagleton, Jesse Kilgore, Roberta King, Gilbert Ko, Darla Langdon, Daniel Roe, Molly Wagner, and Jeff Williams.

Via telephone (0):

None.

Absent (5):

Lisa Angeles, Nicholaus Biela, Nick Biesold, Jerry Neil, and Stephanie Steiner.

I. Call to order – Martin Buckley

II. Roll – Cameron Collins: 12 of 17 Present

III. Council Work Sessions

Retired & Notable Player Recognition:

  • Key questions include: Who do we include? (1970s to the Present?) How do we honor them? Where do we honor them? When do we honor them? What is the process for deciding who to honor?
  • Nicholaus Biela submitted a framework. Dan, Nick, Jerry, Roberta, Alex, Molly, Cameron in the group. Discussion was held in the Facebook group on how the recognition should be carried out. The group liked the idea of a Hall of Fame type structure that would be presented by the Alliance. The group looked in to how the other local teams deal with honoring players. Council will start off developing the process and then sell the Club on recognizing what we are working on once we have decided on procedure.
  • How is this different from the golden scarf? How do we differentiate between this and what the club does? What is the dream scenario? Ideas the Council put forth included: a ring of honor similar to the Seahawks, stars on a walk of fame type thing, bricks honoring the individuals. The key ideas are to look in to big ideas, find a solution that is accessible and visible to the Sounders fanbase. Another option mentioned was bricks from the March to the Match to the stadium where you walk over the names of the legends, making them a part of every march.
  • Council can make opinion statements honoring players. That provides a level below a Hall of Fame type honor.

Alliance Business Meeting 2018:

Council President Martin Buckley had a call with the Front Office to start working on the meeting. The Club is currently looking at other potential venues that are somewhere in the 200-300 person capacity range. It will likely be held during the FIFA break, most likely the 13th or 14th of November due to the other events going on that week.

2017 meeting: At the end of the year, everyone received a survey from the front office. It had two questions…. 1) did you attend and how was it? 2) if you didn’t attend, what would make you attend? 5% very satisfied, 10% somewhat satisfied, 80% did not participate, 3% were somewhat unsatisfied, 2% were very unsatisfied. Last year we primarily streamed it and had some in people present in person. There were 70 seats for the general public that were given out by a lottery. Every single person who applied was offered a seat, yet there were people who didn’t show up, leaving open seats. The #1 complaint was that people wanted it in person, but the people who complained either didn’t request a seat or didn’t show up.

The only exception in the attendance numbers year by year was an uptick in the year of the Schmetzer announcement. At that time there were also locker room tours, autographs, and other such events. Those types of events are now separate, as they have become part of the summer celebration. The Club has committed to doing that event moving forward. The Alliance Business Meeting is now just about the business of the alliance. The fun event is during the summer.

Questions for the Council and Club to consider: how important is in person attendance? How important is streaming? 3x to 4x the in person attendance watched online. Streaming is important because people can also watch it after the fact. What if there is a memento for the people who win the lottery and get to come to the meeting?

10 Years of the Alliance:

Interest from the Council in moving this forward seems to have dried up. If there are multiple articles, there can be a longer form text with photos/videos in a timeline. Molly Wagner will still be interviewing former and current Council Presidents. She has been interviewing Paul Cox. Next, she will interview Stephanie and Martin. If any Council Members have input or comments, engage on the TEAMS site. If we do not get more content, we will not be able to carry out the project, so the Council must lean in to get it done.

Recognition of Council Members:

One of the things to propose for the new council come December, we need to start finding a way to reward those who do work. At that time, Council will revisit some of the previous ideas proposed to do this.

IV. GM Vote:

A lot of people voted online and in person when the vote launched. Voting then slowed down, but jumped again at the next home match. Council wants the club to push the vote before the next match and during halftime, as well a use a push notification on the app.

V. Next Alliance Council Meeting:

The next Council Meeting is the week before the Annual Business Meeting. Should we have a meeting or reschedule like we have in the past? The Council says yes, there will be a meeting next month. It will be the first Tuesday of November. The following week will be the ABM. December is the start of our new business year.

VI. Adjournment

Moved. Seconded. Council votes unanimously to adjourn.