Meeting Minutes: October 2019

Meeting Minutes: October 1, 2019

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

Oct 1st 2019 – 7:00 PM

The NINETY

Present (12 of 15): Martin Buckley, Stephanie Steiner, Nicholaus Biela, Ben Slager, Jeff Williams, Todd Cowles, Cameron Collins, Dan Roe, Carmen Hall, Lisa Angeles, Louis Garcia, Duane Nakamura

Absent (1): Alex Eagleton, Jerry Neil, Kelsey Gallo

Via telephone none

I. Call to order:  Martin Buckley 7:00 PM

II. Roll. Martin Buckley:  12 of 15 present at 7.00pm

III. Special Guest

Will Bruin joined Alliance Council for an informal discussion about his career, time at the Sounders and life in Seattle.

IV. Election of Alliance Council Secretary

Lisa Angeles was announced as Secretary by proclamation. Thank you Lisa for keeping our records until the close of the business year.

IV. Proposed amendment to Bylaw 3

Cameron Collins and Dan Roe proposed an amendment to Bylaw 3 to clarify and improve how the Alliance Council and Executive are able to draft and release Opinion Statements. After some discussion the proposed modification will move forward to Second Reading at the November 2019 meeting

V. Proposed amendment to Constitution Article 6.

Cameron Collins and Stephanie Steiner proposed an amendment to the Alliance Constitution to clarify how members of the Executive Committee can be removed. After some discussion this will be re-visited at the November 2019 meeting. Of specific interest were the process around notification, right to reply and the timing.

V. Adjourn

The meeting closed at 9.00pm

Meeting Minutes: September 2019

Meeting Minutes: September 10th, 2019

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

Sep 10th 2019 – 7:00 PM

Rave Green Conference Room

Present (14 of 15): Martin Buckley, Stephanie Steiner, Nicholaus Biela, Kelsey Gallo, Jerry Neil, Ben Slager, Jeff Williams, Todd Cowles, Alex EAgleton, Dan Roe, Carmen Hall, Lisa Angeles, Louis Garcia, Duane Nakamura

Absent (1): Cameron Collins

Via telephone none

I. Call to order:  Martin Buckley 7:00 PM

II. Roll. Lisa Angeles:  14 of 15 present at 7.04pm

III. Membership updates

Darla Langdon has asked for Leave of Absence – and will return in December for the new business year.

Chris Urquart and Molly Wagner are deemed to have offered voluntary resignation from Alliance Council by virtue of non-attendance and communication. We thank them for their time and service on Alliance Council

Louis Garcia will be moving away from the area later in the year and will be resigning from Alliance Council at that point. We also thank Louis for his time and service on Alliance Council.

Jeff Williams resigned from the Alliance Council Executive with immediate effect. We thank Jeff for his service as Secretary for this year.

IV. Special Guest: Peter Tomozawa

Peter Tomozawa is part of the the new ownership group at Sounders FC. Peter also joined Sounders FC Front Office as President of Business Operations.

Peter spent over two hours with Alliance Council discussing a wide variety of topics.

Alliance Council thanks Peter for his time – and looks forward to a strong and productive partnership.

V. Adjourn

The meeting closed at 9.05pm

Meeting Minutes: August 2019

Meeting Minutes: Aug 6th, 2019

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

Aug 6th, 2019 – 7:00 PM

Rave Green Conference Room

Present (12 of 18): Alex Eagleton, Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Daniel Roe, Duane Nakamura, Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Kelsey Gallo, Louis Garcia, Martin Buckley, Nicholaus Biela, and Stephanie Steiner.

Absent (6): Ben Slager, Chris Urquart, Molly Wagner, Darla Langdon, Lisa Angeles, Todd Cowles.

Via telephone none

I. Call to order:  Martin Buckley 7:03 PM

II. Roll. Jeff Williams:  12 of 18 present at 7.04pm.

III. Front Office and Supporter Groups: Update and commentary on recent events
Martin Buckley joined a meeting between Supporter Groups and Front Office at the invitation of Emerald City Supports’ leadership. Note that the Alliance Council will not get involved in Support Group business.

There was a long and detailed discussion regarding the current situation regarding the MLS Fan Code of Conduct, political flags and signage and supporter groups. There was a specific discussion regarding the Iron Front imagery and flags.

Sounders FC Front Office continues to message a stand for inclusion and keeping fans safe.

Alliance Council representation was to listen and provide context regarding all fans.

Following a break there was discussion on whether the Alliance Council should craft and support an Opinion Statement in support of our Supporter Groups.

Vote on the motion:  11 Yes, and one abstain. 

We, the Seattle Sounders Alliance Council, support the value of inclusion.
We stand with our Supporter Groups against hate, bigotry, racism, and intolerance.

Opinion Statement Supporting Inclusion

IV. Volunteers and Events.
Alliance Council is being asked to support multiple events over the coming months:
August 25 – Fan Appreciation event – noon to 3.00pm
October – garage sale
November – Annual Business Meeting

There was a limited number of volunteers to assist. Nicholaus will manage the Fan Event signup and roster. Duane volunteered as logistics lead for the Annual Business Meeting.

V. Update: Social media plan and next steps.
Kelsey’s report on social media shows 2000 followers on Facebook and 2700 on Twitter. Suggested to arrange a giveaway to increase traffic.

VI. Update on Scarf vote.
Carmen reported that the Alliance wide Scarf Vote is live. Results will be announced at a future match.

VII. Other business.
Food committee:  the stadium is trying new beer. Ask to put up signs for frozé. If you want Taco Time at the game, we must raise our voices.

Next meeting was re-arranged to be Sept 10.

Away Travel: Anybody going to LA, Alex has a travel offer.

Adjourn: 9:16 PM

 

Meeting Minutes: July 2019

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

July 9th 2019 – 7:00 pm

The NINETY

Present (10 of 18): Alex Eagleton, Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Duane Nakamura Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Kelsey Gallo, Louis Garcia, Martin Buckley, and Todd Cowles.

Absent (8): Ben Slager, Chris Urquart, Molly Wagner, Daniel Roe, Darla Langdon, Lisa Angeles, Nicolaus Biela, Stephanie Steiner.

Via telephone none

I. Call to order:  Martin Buckley 7:00 PM

II. Roll. Jeff Williams:  10 of 18 present at 7.02pm.

III. Front Office: Renewal, Alliance Fan Appreciation Event
Mikaela Purvis, Director of Membership Engagement and Retention spent time talking about renewals, Season Tickets for 2020 and the Alliance Fan Appreciation event to be held 25 August 2019, noon-3.00pm.

She presented the benefits of being a season ticket holder – or Alliance member – and some of the retention details.

IV. Outreach plan and next steps.
Nicolaus not present – this will be presented at a future meeting.

V. Update: Social media plan and next steps.
Kelsey’s report on Social media engagement – mainly through Twitter and Facebook. Looking for content from other members to get pictures of game day, and how the fan experience is shaping up. Looking to add color for the fan around game day, RAVE Foundation events and fan interaction.
Suggestion to get the food trucks report on a regular basis. Find out who knows the list of trucks that will be present.

VI. Update on Scarf vote.
The Front Office received around 40 submissions; a handful were ineligible.
Council will have a short window during July to reduce this list to a best five. This best five will be sent out for Alliance wide vote.
Note that again we ask the Front Office to plan and engage earlier to make this less rushed.

VII. Summer 2019 survey overview.
Martin sent a survey to all current and prior Alliance Council members that we could contact. Around 90 members provided feedback in the anonymous survey.

Perceptions of the Alliance Council are mixed; and there were some good ideas on being more effective. Perceptions of how “rewarding” Alliance Council is has improved over the past three years.

This is a subject for a future meeting.

VIII. #CallingFowl
The final letter was sent to MLS officials.

There is no response to date – although the Sounders FC Front Office reports that the League has received the letter – and have spoken with the Front Office .

We continue to request a response.

The letter calls out what has been done to promote equality. The social media seems to have a mostly positive response. The letter is posted to the Alliance Council website.

IX. Other business.

In order to streamline communication – and have a single place to communicate – Microsoft Teams will be the one place moving forward. As we move into the new business year in December the Facebook group and Google mail will be archived.
In stadium concessions: Food quality not improved. Alex Eagleton and team will continue to review the concessions, quality and value and report back to council and the Front Office.
Todd Cowles has accepted a role on the board of the RAVE Foundation. We congratulate Todd on this move. Todd will be ending his time with Alliance Council at the end of the business year to focus on the RAVE Foundation.

Meeting with Adrian and ownership: pre-game Wednesday 17 July. This is before the friendly match against Dortmund.

X. Adjourn

Adjourn 8:59 PM

 

Meeting Minutes: June 2019

Meeting Minutes: June 4th,  2019

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

June 4th, 2019 – 7:00 PM

The NINETY

Present (11 of 18): Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Dan Roe, Duane Nakamura, Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Kelsey Gallo, Lisa Angeles, Martin Buckley, Nicholaus Biela, and Stephanie Steiner.

Absent (7): Alex Eagleton, Ben Slager, Louis Garcia, Molly Wagner, Darla Langdon, Chris Urquart and Todd Cowles.

Via telephone none

I. Call to order:
 Martin Buckley 7:02 PM

  1. Roll. Jeff Williams:  11 of 18 present at 7.00pm.

III. Executive committee At Large Position Vote: Social Media
Cameron Collins and Nicholaus Biela were elected to voting committee.

Four candidates self-nominated. After short nominating speeches a paper vote was taken.

Kelsey Gallo was elected to the Executive Committee At Large position. Kelsey will report on her plans next meeting.

  1. Chick-fil-A and potential league-wide sponsorship.
    Alliance Council is aware of long running rumors regarding a League-wide commercial sponsorship with Chick-fil-a.

A long conversation discussed multiple concerns around this. The main concern is that the League has promoted various campaigns and awareness activities to support inclusion and diversity (Soccer for All, Don’t Cross the Line) – while Chick-fil-A, the Chick-fil-A Foundation and other associated entities have historically shown behavior and funding which is in opposition to these goals. In addition Alliance Council recognized that Seattle Sounders FC, ownership, players and front office have repeatedly shown behavior which support diversity and inclusion.

A secret ballot was held amongst Council to determine whether this was a conversation we wished to bring to the league. There was unanimous support for this from Council.

A workgroup was formed to create a letter, talking points and a social media campaign – to land before 25th June 2019. Cameron, Carmen, Nicholaus, Dan will do the wordsmithing on the formal letter.

  1. Outreach update
    Nicholaus is looking for information to support outreach.
  2. Final wrap up of Player Recognition
    The final notes from the Player Recognition project were reviewed – and will be minuted for future activity.
  3. Working session: Best XI
    The Alliance Council Best XI process was discussed. The voting site will be open until close of the week.

A long conversation regarding individual selection criteria for Best XI was entertaining. Noted thanks to the Club for including Alliance Council.

  1. Other business

Carmen will talk to Front Office on Friday about scarf vote. Process and timeline will be posted on Teams. Similar to last year – designs submitted, Council selects best five, Alliance wide voting, prototype scarves for final five, scarves on display at fan event in August.

No date for the fan event yet – likely to be late August.

Surveyed the council 16 of 19 responded

The business meeting is to be streamed at a venue for about 500 towards the end of August.

Cleanup on bylaw 9, part of the law was not posted but is updated now.

Molly Wagner is now ex officio status

Adjourn: 8:48 PM

 

Meeting Minutes: May 2019

Meeting Minutes: May 2019

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

May 7th, 2019 – 7:00 PM

The NINETY

Present (16 of 19): Alex Eagleton, Ben Slager, Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Dan Roe, Duane Nakamura Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Kelsey Gallo, Lisa Angeles, Louis Garcia, Martin Buckley, Nicholaus Biela, Stephanie Steiner, and Todd Cowles.

Absent (3): Molly Wagner, Darla Langdon, Chris Urquart

Via telephone none

I. Call to order:  Martin Buckley 7:00 PM

Jessie Kilgore offered his resignation from Council, which was accepted.

Duane Nakamura is newly voted onto Council. Duane was welcomed and introductions made.

II. Roll. Jeff Williams:  16 of 19 present at 7.00pm.

III. Martin review on Player recognition wrap-up.
Wrap up workgroup on player recognition. Molly to send the email out with the wrap-up.

IV. Todd Presentation of the Rave foundation.

A summary of the plans the Rave foundation is planning. A small discussion on the great things the Rave are planning to Lead, serve, and invest. We were asking how the council can get more involved and coincide with the mission of the board. A request for the rave group to get up information sooner than later to help up plan. Darla went over some historical notes. Todd would help us bridge the partnership. The alliance can help promote.

V. Update: Social media plan and next steps.
Nicholas is heading the charge of how we need to use our tools to educate people on what is the council involvement. We will need to recruit additional help when the fan base increases to 30,000 season tickets. We brainstormed ideas to help drive the hits to social media.
Ideas: monthly mention in a magazine, content to include blogs, twitter, looking for material to regularly get information to the alliance members.
We need to educate people on the Yearly business meeting, scarf vote, fan event. Using these contacts for self-promotion.
We are looking for ways to get fan feedback and ideas to recruit more involved members.

VI. Working session:

We decided not to comment on the new code of conduct at this time. There was an open discussion on how it would be related to fan experience. We mentioned what items could be brought to the council for consideration.

Some of the ideas for driving awareness:

Scarf vote jersey planning, questionnaire.Fan appreciation day has the alliance council hand out the maps for signature places.
3 people can post to twitter, Molly can gather items.
Smaller events for the season ticket holders, example first day of practice.
Cards in the seats, information at seats.
Commit to every game to take fan pictures.
Pin and Pamphlet in the fan experience box.
Identify the council at games, bring awareness.
Promote scarf, jersey, garth visit regular parts of being a council member.
Partner with Rave at a bowling event.
Guest blog on Twitter.
Birthday acknowledgments.
Membership cards in the box.
GM vote and planning.
Branding Cups, napkins.
Some mention in the nightly pregame.

VII. Owner Meeting with Adrian and FO May 11th.

We wanted to review how the council has developed and to what is in store for the council in the next 10 years. How does the alliance fit into the Sounders future plans?

Adjourn: 8:53 PM