SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL
August 7, 2018 – 7:00 PM – The NINETY
Present: (12 of 18 present)
Nicholaus Biela, Martin Buckley, Cameron Collins, Todd Cowles, Mike Dollard, Alex Eagleton, Jesse Kilgore, Gilbert Ko, Darla Langdon, Dan Roe, Stephanie Steiner, Jeff Williams
Lisa Angeles, Peter Buck, Nick Biesold, Roberta King, Jerry Neil, Molly Wagner
I. Call to order – Martin Buckley
II. Roll – Cameron Collins
III. Council Working Session:
a. Council Structure
President Martin Buckley opened the conversation by asking members how we see Council as the Alliance grows in numbers: 50,000 members? 60,000? Close to 70,000?
Open dialog regarding future structure:
- Nicholaus Biela: doing the math, brings up that Council Members presently represent about 1500 Alliance Members. He is interested in new ways to reach Alliance Members: digital town halls, AMAs (ask me anything), etc. Give people opportunities for communication with Council Members. Jesse Kilgore: what about a quarterly newsletter pushed out by the Club?
- Suggestion: what about the originally suggested format of the current Council plus the ‘one mayor per seating section’ that meets quarterly? Cameron expresses concern that the Council could become too elite.
Council Structure Group: Martin, Todd, Nicholaus
President Martin Buckley moves to the next topic: workload and rewards vs. incentives. ‘Frequent Flier Program’ was developed previously.
- Too many incentives and we attract people who only show up for the incentives
- Work is falling to the few – too little is being accomplished: people agree to do the work and then just don’t do it. Same problem that has been going on since Council started.
- Group participates in questions about what motivates them as individuals, why they came to Alliance Council.
c. Ten Years Project
VP Stephanie Steiner covers Ten Years of the Alliance project
- Little movement since beginning of the year, when we thought we’d have Club support. Kyle Sheldon quit and Taylor is covering his job.
- If this project is to move at all, we have to get assignments done.
- Everyone in the room agrees to participate in Ten Years project
- Jesse will create an outline of how to write a blog for the project
- Stephanie has a skeleton outline of topics
- The Visibility group has discussed the project and has additional topics
- Roberta completed a piece previously, but it was removed from the website because it needed supporting content in context.
Moved. Seconded. Council votes unanimously to adjourn.