Meeting Minutes: Aug 6th, 2019

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

Aug 6th, 2019 – 7:00 PM

Rave Green Conference Room

Present (12 of 18): Alex Eagleton, Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Daniel Roe, Duane Nakamura, Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Kelsey Gallo, Louis Garcia, Martin Buckley, Nicholaus Biela, and Stephanie Steiner.

Absent (6): Ben Slager, Chris Urquart, Molly Wagner, Darla Langdon, Lisa Angeles, Todd Cowles.

Via telephone none

I. Call to order:  Martin Buckley 7:03 PM

II. Roll. Jeff Williams:  12 of 18 present at 7.04pm.

III. Front Office and Supporter Groups: Update and commentary on recent events
Martin Buckley joined a meeting between Supporter Groups and Front Office at the invitation of Emerald City Supports’ leadership. Note that the Alliance Council will not get involved in Support Group business.

There was a long and detailed discussion regarding the current situation regarding the MLS Fan Code of Conduct, political flags and signage and supporter groups. There was a specific discussion regarding the Iron Front imagery and flags.

Sounders FC Front Office continues to message a stand for inclusion and keeping fans safe.

Alliance Council representation was to listen and provide context regarding all fans.

Following a break there was discussion on whether the Alliance Council should craft and support an Opinion Statement in support of our Supporter Groups.

Vote on the motion:  11 Yes, and one abstain. 

We, the Seattle Sounders Alliance Council, support the value of inclusion.
We stand with our Supporter Groups against hate, bigotry, racism, and intolerance.

Opinion Statement Supporting Inclusion

IV. Volunteers and Events.
Alliance Council is being asked to support multiple events over the coming months:
August 25 – Fan Appreciation event – noon to 3.00pm
October – garage sale
November – Annual Business Meeting

There was a limited number of volunteers to assist. Nicholaus will manage the Fan Event signup and roster. Duane volunteered as logistics lead for the Annual Business Meeting.

V. Update: Social media plan and next steps.
Kelsey’s report on social media shows 2000 followers on Facebook and 2700 on Twitter. Suggested to arrange a giveaway to increase traffic.

VI. Update on Scarf vote.
Carmen reported that the Alliance wide Scarf Vote is live. Results will be announced at a future match.

VII. Other business.
Food committee:  the stadium is trying new beer. Ask to put up signs for frozé. If you want Taco Time at the game, we must raise our voices.

Next meeting was re-arranged to be Sept 10.

Away Travel: Anybody going to LA, Alex has a travel offer.

Adjourn: 9:16 PM